How Long do Asphalt Shingles Last on Homes in Northern Virginia?
Asphalt shingles are a popular roofing option among homeowners and for good reasons. They are often very hardwearing, taking the brunt of hail, wind, rain, sleet, snow, and other weather extremes while experiencing little to no damage. Plus, they are easy to maintain, requiring little maintenance throughout the years to look as good as new. Asphalt shingles are also very customizable. Homeowners like you have the ability to choose the color and style they want for their shingles, as well as many other additional options depending on the roofing company and manufacturer.
Asphalt shingles are also known for their longevity. But, how long do asphalt shingles really last in Northern Virginia? Traditionally, the lifespan of asphalt shingles is 20 to 30 years. However, there are many factors that can impact the roof’s true longevity. These include:
- Weather conditions in the area, as certain storms, like hurricanes, can take years off a roof’s life
- Roofing color, with dark colors deteriorating more over time
- Roofing position, as those with a southern orientation garner more heat and damaging UV rays from the sun
- Roof maintenance, as neglected maintenance will shorten a roof’s lifespan
What to Look for in an Aging Roof
If your asphalt roof is 15 years old or older, then you should have it inspected by a professional roofing contractor as soon as possible. It is possible that your asphalt shingle roof is nearing the end of its life, and you will need to know what precautions to take. Obvious signs that your roof is due for an upgrade, or at least some maintenance, include:
- Buckling or curling shingles
- Missing or easily blown off asphalt shingles
- Discolored shingles
- Roof shingle granules in your gutters
- Water stains on roof boards
- A leaking roof
Have Your Roof Evaluated
Homeowners like you in Northern Virginia with an aging asphalt shingle roof can turn to Shiner Exteriors for a roof inspection. Our in-house inspector will come to your house and provide a full and honest evaluation of your roof’s condition. We can then recommend the best course of action for your home, whether it be new asphalt shingles, some roof repairs, or nothing at all. Contact Shiner Exteriors today to learn more about our roofing services and the asphalt shingles that we install on homes in Northern Virginia.